Distances & Chokes ?

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
gold40

Distances & Chokes ?

#1 Post by gold40 »

What is the ideal choke for "most" of the FLATWATER course this year?

Was wondering whether to bring an IC & M gun, or one with M & F barrels? Or perhaps it doesn't really matter....

JERRY

steve voss

#2 Post by steve voss »

Jerry,

As usual, your IC/Mod gun will be overchoked. Think Cyl or Skt for the first barrel and IC for the tight one. I will be shooting .000 and .008 in the Grulla. The Bayard is still as I found it, IC/IM, but I will make do as it is my dedicated "Chicken" gun. :D

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

Digger

#3 Post by Digger »

Really :twisted: Well Mr.Voss, be ready for some interesting things at the course !!! 8)

BirddogBrewer

#4 Post by BirddogBrewer »

All you screw in choke people will never really know the love we fixed choke fools have. We miss a bird or two, but we know we REALLY missed 'em, and we have the built in excuse. Plus we get three guns for every one of yours! He who can justify the most toys wins, and probably has the largest...gun safe.
bdb
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris
14th Cent. Danzig Town Ord.

Beer is Proof that God Loves us and Wants us to be Happy. Ben Franklin

Steve007

#5 Post by Steve007 »

Shooting style matters. Mr. Voss is noteworthily quick on the trigger (or so go the rumors :wink: ).

I well remember a couple of big outgoing crossers to the right and left at Flatwater. "Lightning Chuck" Graber broke 'em before they were out of the box.I broke 'em wayyy out. We both got 10's (though his was luck), but if we'd switched chokes, neither of us would have done as well.

I recommend #9 shot and cylinder for everyone but me.

steve voss

#6 Post by steve voss »

Sorry, Steve, I keep forgetting how old you are. :twisted: :cry: :wink:

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

jerry6stl

#7 Post by jerry6stl »

So Digger....

Again I ask, which fixed choke gun to bring? Open or tight?

Like most others here, I also own newer O/U's with a multitude of changeable tubes, but plan to leave them at home. I am looking forward to shooting one of my older and more traditional SxS's, with fixed chokes.

The Executive Committee Senior Commisars should consider assessing severe "steak penalties" for those who show up with O/U's having screw-in chokes.

Jerry Goldstein
St. Louis, MO

steve voss

#8 Post by steve voss »

Jerry,

That is a great idea! I'll bet the Commissar would exlude from penalty any choke tube gun wielding Brother who pre-selected his tubes and then NEVER CHANGED THEM. :twisted: :roll: :wink:

sv

Stackbarrel16

#9 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

Jerry, please see updated penalty thread for political name calling and SxS snobbery.
Rand Paul 2016

Chuck Graber

#10 Post by Chuck Graber »

Steve007 wrote: I well remember a couple of big outgoing crossers to the right and left at Flatwater. "Lightning Chuck" Graber broke 'em before they were out of the box.I broke 'em wayyy out. We both got 10's (though his was luck), but if we'd switched chokes, neither of us would have done as well.

I recommend #9 shot and cylinder for everyone but me.
Steve,
You and Jerry had better get to Grandpa's around 7:00AM Friday if you are going to get enough practice to back up your bluster. Without your shooting mentor Dick along for the weekend, I am looking for the wheels to fall off your shooting abilities. Are you sure that your aging eyes can still see the targets when they are "wayyy out" there?

If you wish to quarrel I shall be forced to taunt you a second time! :P
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

steve voss

#11 Post by steve voss »

Chuck Graber wrote:If you wish to quarrel I shall be forced to taunt you a second time!
Chuck,

Be careful. The committee will likely fine you if you mention "Elderberries." :D :D :D

Plus it's about time to remind 007 that he shoots 'righty' and is left eye dominant. My normal question is "Do you shoot with both eyes open, or only one?" :twisted: :roll: :wink:

sv

Steve007

#12 Post by Steve007 »

My eyes are not aging. Like myself, they do not deteriorate. Unlike myself, they have never been very good. But I compensate with flawless intellect, fine conditioning, raw courage and manly self-delusion.

Actual unretouched photo of Chuck and Steve007 after hunt with birds killed (my extras on bumper :wink: ):

jerry6stl

#13 Post by jerry6stl »

GUYS, GUYS, GUYS,

Please have mercy and don't rile my driver (007) in advance of this trip. As it is, I'll be in the car with him for 7 hours each way. If you aggrevate him up, the trip will seem like an eon....or two eons!

JERRY

Chuck Graber

#14 Post by Chuck Graber »

Steve007 wrote: My eyes are not aging. Like myself, they do not deteriorate. Unlike myself, they have never been very good. But I compensate with flawless intellect, fine conditioning, raw courage and manly self-delusion.

Actual unretouched photo of Chuck and Steve007 after hunt with birds killed (my extras on bumper :wink: ):

:lol:

As I remember Mr Roark had a lot to do with the birds on the bumper.

I suspect that "manly self-delusion" may be chief among the virtues of those who are the Flatwater faithful. :wink:
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

steve voss

#15 Post by steve voss »

What were you shooting, Chuck?