The official Flatwater open shoot info thread

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
wingshooter

#166 Post by wingshooter »

I remember the two of them at FII in a scotch drinking contest, Brad still bedecked in his Browning gear. Voss was just bedecked.
Consistency is the currency of credibility.

MM

steve voss

#167 Post by steve voss »

Chuck Graber wrote:Hey Voss,
I don't recognize Brad Bailey in the group photo. Did he miss the pic? I remember that the exploits of Voss and Bailey from year 1 were the stuff of legend! :?
Brad Bailey is in the center wearing blue/white stripes.

It was Year One and shooters were in relatively short supply. Towards the completion of dinner we all moved into the great room, where the two large table were set end to end.

As it turned out the bourbon drinkers wound up at one end amd the scotch drinkers the other. It was more like a tasting than anything else. We, at our end, would open a bottle of single malt, sample it until it was gone, and then open the next. What made it so fun was the fact that the wastebasket was at the "bourbon" end of the table. I'd just lay the empties flat and roll them down the tables.

Brad & I ran out of companions well before we ran out of "samples." The tasting ended around midnight or so, I had to rest up to go home, and then had to get up twice the next morning 'cause the first time I got up it was obvious I needed more sleep.

When I arrived at 9:30 on Sunday morning I was greeted with cheers. Everyone was happy that they didn't have to stay for the anticipated funeral. I still have more fun than any nine guys at the Flatwater, but I know not to have that much fun.

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

Stackbarrel16

#168 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

Chuck, KGB has made every one too.
Rand Paul 2016

Colonel Brown

#169 Post by Colonel Brown »

Stackbarrel16 wrote:Chuck, KGB has made every one too.
Which would mean each one has had both KGB and CIA.

Chuck Graber

#170 Post by Chuck Graber »

List updated.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Brent XVI'er

#171 Post by Brent XVI'er »

I think that rather than an oral history of the Flatwater, we should have an accurate written record, perhaps written in the pictograph style of the native Americans that inhabited the area. It would, of course, be on bison hide or deerskin- with ink made of blood mixed with earth, berries, single malt, and tobacco. It would be hung on the wall at the great lodge, where it could be viewed with awe with each passing year.....

Or we could all contribute pics with our fav captions and all attendees could sign it each year- sort of a scrapbook style.

Stackbarrel16

#172 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

Or you'll just have to come and hear the tales in person as an oral history as was traditional with plains tribes. Bring whiskey, any kind to share :D
Rand Paul 2016

steve voss

#173 Post by steve voss »

One must remember the fastest way to kill a party. I quote from that great Western Adventure McClintock.

"Oh Macklin, great party but no whiskey, we go home now."

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

wingshooter

#174 Post by wingshooter »

I would like to thank everyone for the cards and letters supporting me in my attempt to bring sanity, civility, levity, and tranquility to the governing of the Flatwater shoot : but please- no more flowers. As the mental stability and possibility of dementia (AKA Alzheimers) has been raised concerning the aging Committee, I propose a secret meeting to form a revolutionary government to depose this evil eyebrowed dictator.

Behind the BBQ, just before the 30 man squad shoot on Friday, we shall rally and rise, O proletariat!

Identity withheld
Consistency is the currency of credibility.

MM

Brent XVI'er

#175 Post by Brent XVI'er »

Stack and Steve, I will have plenty of Firewater with which to ply the tounges of the senior chiefs. I will suggest to Digger that he institute a "John Wayne Retrospective" during the weekend for all those too tired or lazy to shoot the course. Not that there would be any too lazy,or tired.

I would like to propose to the committee that a rifle range be suggested to Digger, so we could also participate in rifle events. Just a thought...

Brent XVI'er

#176 Post by Brent XVI'er »

Tiny, I'm confused,we're going to depose Groucho Marx?

Colonel Brown

#177 Post by Colonel Brown »

Iowegian detachment had one too many rooms reserved. I just cancelled one at the Sleep Inn, in case anyone hasn't yet made a reservation.

Stackbarrel16

#178 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

Ron White will not make it he has however sent a 1st American Edition of Robert Churchill's "Shotgun Book" to be auctioned. The proceeds are to go to the fund to support youth shooting sports.

Please be aware and bring some cash to play the raffle.
Rand Paul 2016

Colonel Brown

#179 Post by Colonel Brown »

Ron's prolly making Obama signs for the Dem convention in Denver.

steve voss

#180 Post by steve voss »

wingshooter wrote:my attempt to bring sanity, civility, levity, and tranquility to the Flatwater shoot
But it is precisely the lack thereof that makes it so fun.

sv