Damascus/Twist at FLATWATER ?

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
jerry6stl

Damascus/Twist at FLATWATER ?

#1 Post by jerry6stl »

Lately I've been shooting two SxS's with Damascus and Twist barrels, just for grins. While I do have several newer, and stronger, shotguns, sometime shooting the old-timers is fun. I use low-pressure smokeless handloads.

Does anyone else have an interest in shooting Damascus or Twist barrels SxS's this year at FLATWATER? Perhaps we might arrange a squad specifically to shoot these "old timers" for one round? Maybe do a short-course of only 50 rounds at the closer targets? Some might want to use black powder reloads in their oldies, and we could stay apart from the serious shooters with sensitive noses.

Any takers? Any thoughts?

JERRY GOLDSTEIN

sd/mt pga pro

#2 Post by sd/mt pga pro »

Hell yes. If I can get there, I will bring some of the Damascus lasses that I have, both with exposed hammers and without.

I bet Voss will shoot with us, though he probably will want us to spot him ten yards or more because his hammer gun is a 16. And if no one else wants to shoot such an event, well---maybe they will let us shoot our Damascus guns along side them in the established events.
BC

Steve007

#3 Post by Steve007 »

These things aren't gonna blow up, are they? :?

steve voss

#4 Post by steve voss »

Guys have been shooting damascus guns at Flatwater for a long time now. I fondly remember Jim Heitz's (sp?) sidelever, damascus Grant. Ask Bluestem if it shoots ok. :D :twisted: :D

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

kgb

#5 Post by kgb »

Should be easy in the extreme to gather up an "old timers" squad at Flatwater.

kgb

Pancho McTavish
Location: Formerly high Over the Beach at Waikiki and now high in the Ozark Mountains

#6 Post by Pancho McTavish »

kgb wrote:Should be easy in the extreme to gather up an "old timers" squad at Flatwater.

kgb
Maybe we could do that on Thursday while the young guys are out providing for our social security payments! :wink: :lol: :lol:

jerry6stl

#7 Post by jerry6stl »

My intended usage of the term "OLD TIMERS" referred to the damascus and twist barreled firearms, not to their owners.

Probably half, or more, of the FLATWATER shooters personally qualify as old timers; this poster included. And although he won't readily admit it, Herr Finkel will be receiving Social Security before long. Its fortunate that we will have young fellows like Tiny and Hink at FLATWATER to do our heavy lifting......and cooking....

JERRY GOLDSTEIN

Pancho McTavish
Location: Formerly high Over the Beach at Waikiki and now high in the Ozark Mountains

#8 Post by Pancho McTavish »

jerry6stl wrote:My intended usage of the term "OLD TIMERS" referred to the damascus and twist barreled firearms, not to their owners.
I know, I know........but I just couldn't help myself. :lol:

Bluestem

#9 Post by Bluestem »

steve voss wrote:Guys have been shooting damascus guns at Flatwater for a long time now. I fondly remember Jim Heitz's (sp?) sidelever, damascus Grant. Ask Bluestem if it shoots ok. :D :twisted: :D

sv
Is that what you were shooting when you poached my birds from a station away? I knew it had to be the arrow and not the indian. :P

wingshooter

#10 Post by wingshooter »

fondly remember Jim Heitz's (sp?) sidelever, damascus Grant.
As it stands, Mr. Heisz plans to return with the Grant sidelever, and I have asked him to also bring his Dickson. My Birmy damascus hammer 16 is supposed to be ready in time for Flatwater, so I would gladly join in such a foray of fellows.

As to bringing interesting "things", will the new Dad be bringing his son and the lad's new gun?
Consistency is the currency of credibility.

MM

Colonel Brown

#11 Post by Colonel Brown »

I remember Voss doing the twist late one evening. Not sure he remembers. :)

Brent XVI'er

#12 Post by Brent XVI'er »

Don't show him the video,Larry- it's supposed to be a SECRET. :roll:

Jim Heis shoots damascus, and he still has ten fingers. I think......
The joys of shooting a 16 bore are only realized when you do it.

gold40

#13 Post by gold40 »

SO....

Will we have enough damscus/twist shooters to have a separate squad on Saturday morning? Or should we stick with our more modern SxS smokepoles?

Jerry Goldstein

steve voss

#14 Post by steve voss »

Please shoot the old guns.

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

wingshooter

#15 Post by wingshooter »

On my desk right now rests an 'ole girl born 130 years ago, just itchin' to stretch her legs...lots of 3/4 oz 2 1/2's loaded and in the box for any and all who want a slot on her dance card...
Consistency is the currency of credibility.

MM