Single shot or bolt gun squads?

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
kgb

#16 Post by kgb »

A pawn shop in Omaha has had a squad of bolt action shotguns sitting around for a while so I checked them a little closer today. One Mossberg 385T at $99, and 4 JC Higgins. 3 are 16's and one's a 12, the latter is $129 and each 16ga is $99.95. They're all 583's, with various numbers after a period, no idea what they mean unless they're sub-designations used by Sears, etc. I had to handle one of the 16's, and the bolt was smooth with the stock seeming to fit quite well. Was looking right down the barrel, bead on top of the receiver. At least some of them had smashed recoil pads, maybe all of them.

They also had a Stevens 94 in 16ga, but it was something like $129.

kgb

Brent XVI'er

#17 Post by Brent XVI'er »

Thanks for the tip KGB! I'm still trying to find one here locally at a pawn shop. :lol:
The joys of shooting a 16 bore are only realized when you do it.

Brent XVI'er

#18 Post by Brent XVI'er »

Please bring that delightful 16 bore 21 if you still have it. :D Please. :lol:

kgb

#19 Post by kgb »

Brent, those bolts should still be in the rack when you guys get up here and the pawn shop is easy to get to in Omaha if you really have to take a look! I'll bring the 21, but right now it's got its original pg/spl wood back on. I'll switch it back to a sg/bt if you'd rather shoot it that way--if it's warm your fingers would appreciate the "insulation".

Kirk

Brent XVI'er

#20 Post by Brent XVI'er »

Thanks! :D

dead pair

#21 Post by dead pair »

If anyone is interested I have a 16ga in a Gamemaster that is a bolt if anyone would like to shoot, or buy. It will be like shooting a hedge post with a barrel attached.

Bluerock Brimley

#22 Post by Bluerock Brimley »

dead pair wrote:If anyone is interested I have a 16ga in a Gamemaster that is a bolt if anyone would like to shoot, or buy. It will be like shooting a hedge post with a barrel attached.

I didn't realize that Ruger ever made a bolt action shotgun---the Ruger Gamemaster, huh?
99.9999999%of robberies don't have the Mission Impossible theme song playing in the background. It's usually circus music.
...the blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.

postoak

#23 Post by postoak »

Hedge Post - must be from Kansas 8)

My Kansas Inlaws thought it was the funniest thing when I called it BowDark.

( I know it is spelled Bois DeArc or somethin close.)
"The devil can fool a man, but not man's best friend"

Brent XVI'er

#24 Post by Brent XVI'er »

Yes , most of the finer bolt guns are stocked in this rich, yellow -orange wood- except for the ones stocked with plywood. :oops:

Brent XVI'er

#25 Post by Brent XVI'er »

I may have a line on a Western Field 16 bore Tubular feed- thurough -the -stock bolting action hedge post.

More news later.

Bluerock Brimley

#26 Post by Bluerock Brimley »

Brent XVI'er wrote:...bore Tubular feed- thurough -the -stock...
A gun like that would make you a master-class gamer!! The "spirit of the game" requires a box-magazine fed gun. :lol:

Note-- extra "spirit of the game" points will be considered for period-correct costuming, expecially but not limited to:
-seed corn hats
-John Deere hats
-wife beater shirts
-bib overalls
-any clothing with a photo-facsimile of Britanny Spears
-any clothing with a mobile home logo (extra points if it also includes a photo of Spears).
-anything related to Nascar
-any visible tatoos or body piercings

Additional half point given if above are worn while dipping snuff AND simultaneously rolling a toothpick in the corner of your mouth. (Points will be deducted for snuff chewers that spit instead of swallow).

All of the above will be credited to those that:
-shoot a single shot shotgun
-shoot a bolt action shotgun
-shoot any gun manufactured by Ruger
99.9999999%of robberies don't have the Mission Impossible theme song playing in the background. It's usually circus music.
...the blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.

Brent XVI'er

#27 Post by Brent XVI'er »

I can relate to that. 8) Uncle Wilfred, will you be shootin' your Ruger Gamemaster Single shot?

postoak

#28 Post by postoak »

Maybe a firing pin will break on one of my old relics.
"The devil can fool a man, but not man's best friend"

Brent XVI'er

#29 Post by Brent XVI'er »

I will challenge all comers to a bolting action/ single shooting squad doubles-true and report pairs. At stake will be braggin' rights for uber manliness at Flatwater. :roll: :lol: :shock: :wink: I will un-veil my latest 16 bore acquisition at the Lodge.

Bluestem

#30 Post by Bluestem »

Bluerock Brimley wrote: Note-- extra "spirit of the game" points will be considered for period-correct costuming, expecially but not limited to:
-seed corn hats
-John Deere hats
-wife beater shirts
-bib overalls
-any clothing with a photo-facsimile of Britanny Spears
-any clothing with a mobile home logo (extra points if it also includes a photo of Spears).
-anything related to Nascar
-any visible tatoos or body piercings

Additional half point given if above are worn while dipping snuff AND simultaneously rolling a toothpick in the corner of your mouth. (Points will be deducted for snuff chewers that spit instead of swallow).

All of the above will be credited to those that:
-shoot a single shot shotgun
-shoot a bolt action shotgun
-shoot any gun manufactured by Ruger
First CAS, now this. Greg may be in need of an intervention.