Flatwater 09?

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
mbonner

#31 Post by mbonner »

M R Byrd, I rather think you will get shot with an island lock Purdey if you sully sippin' Scotch with ice!
Ice is for rye and bourbon.
Now that my buddy Terry Boyer has passed on, God bless his soul, I'd be grateful I could find another gent with whom I can ride in a truck from the Hotel to Larry's to avoid smashing my RX7 to bits in the potholes.
Mike

Colonel Brown

#32 Post by Colonel Brown »

Used to shoot skeet with a guy who occasionally used a bolt action .410, with which he'd occasionally break a pair. I have a Sterlingworth 20 that needs to visit the smith because the safety re-engages after the first shot. (Also heavy triggers.) I managed the Station 7 pair with it, starting low gun and operating the safety twice. Two triggers, two moves of the safety . . . that's getting complicated!

kgb

#33 Post by kgb »

Would you trust this man to prepare your food? (i.d. clue: uncheckered grilling utensil handles)

mbonner

#34 Post by mbonner »

As an ASQ Certified Food Safety Auditor I'll be inspecting the food preparation areas and checking for Food Handlers Training Certificates issued by the Syracuse NE Board of Public Health.
I'll assume the Scotch is OK as alcohol is a sterilant, I'll risk drinking it anyway.
Mike, CHA

postoak

#35 Post by postoak »

Mr. Bonner - you can ride with me - I am planning on attending.
"The devil can fool a man, but not man's best friend"

big steve

#36 Post by big steve »

For the ones of us who have not participated or paid much attention to it, what is Flatwater, who can go, and where is it?
big steve

Doug G

#37 Post by Doug G »

I've read with great interest for a couple years now about this Flatwater--can you tell me where it is held and when? I am assuming only "high grade" guns and good, honest shooters are allowed?

postoak

#38 Post by postoak »

Doug G wrote:I've read with great interest for a couple years now about this Flatwater--can you tell me where it is held and when? I am assuming only "high grade" guns and good, honest shooters are allowed?
Naw - man they will let anyone one attend - even myself :lol:

mbonner

#39 Post by mbonner »

Postoak. you are a gent, thanks for the invitation to ride along, much appreciated, I just about ripped my wheels off on my first year in my little sports car.
I use a1988 Mazda RX7 convertible as my touring summer car, my brawny Jeep Cherokee for winter and hunting. 1995 vintage, 590.000 kms, (369.000 miles) burns no oil, a good set of wheels.
Mike

wingshooter

#40 Post by wingshooter »

I am assuming only "high grade" guns and good, honest shooters are allowed?
Lots of the former, few of the latter. :P It is a benefit shoot at Grandpa's Sporting Acres in Syracuse, Nebraska- not far from Lincoln. It is held here 'cuz it is close to Hinck's house, and always the last weekend in April. It helps Grandpa's help kids get introduced to the shooting sports, and IIRC, was dreamed up by Hincker to help the kids and mitigate the Spring shooting doldrums.

Festivities begin on Friday, with attendees arriving all afternoon. Famous on Friday are the "30 man squads", where we traverse the ten or so stations en masse. If you dust ball the first couple targets, you are "encouraged" to vacate the stand and let the next victim step up to the plate. The razzing is relentless, and probably ranks right up there with the Saturday night feast for high point of the weekend.

Last year's price was about 175.00 or so, and bought you 200 targets, food starting Friday evening through Sunday lunch, with the great Saturday night BBQ feast of Hincker's famous German potato salad and an edible ration of Nebraska beef, charred on the Dante Grill.

Not to be missed by those that indulge is the BYOB Bar, with many varieties of single malt foremost. I bring a nice bottle of red, and I can honestly say that in four years I have never seen untoward behavior due to excessive consumption.

While you will see the finest British and Continental guns ever made, there are also the old American classic doubles. Flatwater can even be shot with a turkey choked, synthetic stocked camo 12 (at least that's the rumor). You are encouraged to shoot the course with your field gun, whatever that may be. Double guns abound, the 16 is sweetest, but all sub gauges are to be found. Don't be surprised if someone hands you a double gun you've only read about, and lets you try a station with it. The food is great, and the camaraderie is as good as the best guns. All for a good cause. I can also attest that you do not have to be a good shot to attend.

I thank you.

P.S. One of the standing traditions of Flatwater is the fining of this mythical character named "Tiny." The fine consists of ounces of steak removed from his allotted portion for perceived offenses against the Teutonic Tyrant. But I digress.
Consistency is the currency of credibility.

MM

David

#41 Post by David »

wingshooter wrote:P.S. One of the standing traditions of Flatwater is the fining of this mythical character named "Tiny." The fine consists of ounces of steak removed from his allotted portion for perceived offenses against the Teutonic Tyrant. But I digress.
Uh Oh!
David

But the moral man does not look at his freedom and say, "I can do what I want," but sees that freedom as the power to do what he ought. -Mike "Wingshooter" McDaniel

http://1-david-drew.artistwebsites.com/

Colonel Brown

#42 Post by Colonel Brown »

Tiny, I think you got the menu out of order. Potato salad=Sat lunch. Baked potatoes=Sat evening steak cookout. But we'll forgive you, as long as you do a good job on the steaks!

wingshooter

#43 Post by wingshooter »

Larry, it would kill me to admit you're right, so I won't.
Consistency is the currency of credibility.

MM

postoak

#44 Post by postoak »

mbonner wrote:Postoak. you are a gent, thanks for the invitation to ride along, much appreciated, I just about ripped my wheels off on my first year in my little sports car.
I use a1988 Mazda RX7 convertible as my touring summer car, my brawny Jeep Cherokee for winter and hunting. 1995 vintage, 590.000 kms, (369.000 miles) burns no oil, a good set of wheels.
Mike
Interesting - I have a '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee myself - I have had good service out of all my Jeeps - the Willys Models, The Kaiser Models, AMC, and even Damiler Chrysler models.

steve voss

#45 Post by steve voss »

wingshooter wrote:Not to be missed by those that indulge is the BYOB Bar, with many varieties of single malt foremost. I bring a nice bottle of red, and I can honestly say that in four years I have never seen untoward behavior due to excessive consumption.
True, but you have seen excessive consumption. :D :D :D

Hinck is working on this year's costs and will announce them as soon as he can. For all you who are wondering, the proper title is The Flatwater Open and it is limited to those who show up. Early signups are appreciated as Hinck likes to buy those ribeye roasts about 3 weeks early to allow for extra maturing time.

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010