Where is Flatwater Held?

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
Remington40x

Where is Flatwater Held?

#1 Post by Remington40x »

Is this a closely guarded secret that only the initiated with the secret password and special handshake are allowed to know? Or is this open to the masses on this BBS? And if open, where in the world is it held?

Bluerock Brimley

Re: Where is Flatwater Held?

#2 Post by Bluerock Brimley »

Remington40x wrote:Is this a closely guarded secret that only the initiated with the secret password and special handshake are allowed to know?
The ability to unscrew a bottle of scotch is the closest thing to a secret handshake there is--(note... the dexterity and intellect to uncork a bottle of wine is NOT a prerequisite)
...Or is this open to the masses on this BBS?
Yes, and most of the attendees possess considerable mass--some of us are downright gravity enhanced.
...And if open, where in the world is it held?
It's held just southeast of Lincoln, Nebraska (actually outside of Syracuse, Ne). If you've ever been to Nebraska, or around Nebraskans, you know that "in the world" is stretching it some--they're in a world of their own. However, if you're a Republican and willing to fly into KC you can hitch a ride with numerous folks--well, maybe with one or two of us. :-)

PLUS--if you bring a Remington 40X for "show and tell" there are actually of few of us there who will know what it is and appreciate its sublte charms.
99.9999999%of robberies don't have the Mission Impossible theme song playing in the background. It's usually circus music.
...the blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.

mbonner

#3 Post by mbonner »

First time I went to the Flatwater I asked for directions from the Sleep Inn. The instructions were a bit vague
I had trouble finding the gravel road to the club. Not one local mentioned the huge water tower where you turn left off the blacktop!!
Mike

postoak

#4 Post by postoak »

If you have a GPS - do not take the shortest route back to Lincoln.

I still have 27 pounds of Nebraska Mud, and the button holes XVI'er cut in my passenger seat to remind me of that mistake.
"The devil can fool a man, but not man's best friend"

Stackbarrel16

#5 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

It's held at 2404 Co Rd. E, Syracuse, NE. 68446 a GPS findable address. If yours give lat/long I can post that again too.

The shoot's full name if the "Flatwater open" meaning it's open to everyone except Cush and Voutsi ( it's closed to them for their own safety). You can shoot anything you shoot birds with, that is feathered birds with. Target guns are highly discouraged. There are no barrel configuration rules, no gauge or bore limits, no action type snobbery and certainly no Scotch requirement. You are encouraged to bring a bottle of your favorite libation to place on the table to share.
Rand Paul 2016

Pancho McTavish
Location: Formerly high Over the Beach at Waikiki and now high in the Ozark Mountains

#6 Post by Pancho McTavish »

Do we need to start making reservations? Can I bring a couple of good guys from Springfield?

steve voss

#7 Post by steve voss »

Pancho McTavish wrote:Do we need to start making reservations? Can I bring a couple of good guys from Springfield?
Bob, The Flatwater Open has always been restricted to whoever shows up. :D :D :D :wink:

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

Stackbarrel16

#8 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

I'd ask for reservations or at least a headcount but you guys NEVER get it right- so I've quit asking.

The closest hotel is the Sleep Inn, Co rd. 30, Syracuse, NE. (402) 269-2700

I haven't gotten a group rate set up but will and they know us there so make em and I'll get the rate arranged when I have a moment to stop there.
Rand Paul 2016

jerry6stl

#9 Post by jerry6stl »

Remington 40X (and other newbies)....

Modesty and midwestern manners probably prevent the previous posters from mentioning that excellent food is provided on premises, as part of the deal. A premier chef is imported from Texas to properly BBQ home-grown steaks. At no extra charge, one also receives an abundance of shooting instruction, gentle critiques, and wonderful comradeship. There are even a few fine fellows willing to shoot any clay birds that you might accidentally miss.

Some years, those shooters who choose to do so, have the rare opportunity to relive their mis-spent youthful years by shooting one SC station through the rolled-down window of a pick-up truck door. Just the same as they road-hunted with their dad or uncle. While this may sound unusual, it is actually an honor tribute to an aging gunwriter whom we all revere.

JERRY

kgb

#10 Post by kgb »

While this may sound unusual, it is actually an honor tribute to an aging gunwriter whom we all revere.
Damn, Jerry, I've been trying to figure out who you mean but no luck...another hint, perhaps?

As for the thread's question, where is Flatwater held? About a 50/50 chance it'll be "in the rain". About a 70% chance of "in high winds".

kgb

postoak

#11 Post by postoak »

Jerry - the Chef - while a fine fellow is a transplant - he is learning to fit in down here, sorta. 8)

mbonner

#12 Post by mbonner »

I now have my ATF Form 6NIA back approved, so I'm good to bring my hardware store 12 bores into the US, and one semiauto, but it's a classic, 28 Ga 11-48 in near mint condition.
Have to load some short low horespower shells and I'm good to come on down!
Mike

postoak

#13 Post by postoak »

I am considering bring a few "off beat" Guns, a Winchester 1911SL, a Winchester Model 40 and a Mystery Pump. I'll bring something to miss with also.

Colonel Brown

#14 Post by Colonel Brown »

jerry6stl wrote: While this may sound unusual, it is actually an honor tribute to an aging gunwriter whom we all revere.

JERRY
We need to tell McIntosh about it if we actually expect him to show up.

Pancho McTavish
Location: Formerly high Over the Beach at Waikiki and now high in the Ozark Mountains

#15 Post by Pancho McTavish »

Got the rooms! Now just tell me how much and where to send the fees.