Your favorite wise-crack heard at the Flatwater

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
Bluerock Brimley

#61 Post by Bluerock Brimley »

Chuck Graber wrote:...Personally I am fairly proud of my M77RL in .257 Roberts. This one shoots about 1-1/4" at 100yds with my current hand loads and I think I can get some more out of it.
Chuck, I hope you know that I wasn't slamming you or your gun--I have somewhat of a reputation to live down to when it comes to Rugers. :lol:

I've come to my disdain for them honestly by having owned a dozen or more, but never a M77. In rifles, I've owned an early Mini-14 which was truly a hideous piece of crap and then a couple of No. 1 prairie dog guns. They were quite beautiful, but as you suggest about some specimen, the accuracy was sporadic. One was a Swift that I had at the range one day prior to a p-dog trip. It was shooting into 3/4" which I was pleased with. I went down range to change the target, came back and the gun started key holing--it was immediate, no gradual degradation of accuracy, just BOOM! I understand that their barrel quality has improved and I'm sure that the new ones shoot quite nicely. At the SHOT show they had a M77 Scout Rifle that actually looked pretty cool but was a little heavy to be a true Scout IIRC.

Anyway, enjoy your .257 and please take my ribbing as good natured (unless we're talking politics :lol: )

Your Pal,
Bluerock Brimley
99.9999999%of robberies don't have the Mission Impossible theme song playing in the background. It's usually circus music.
...the blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.

Chuck Graber

#62 Post by Chuck Graber »

Bluerock Brimley wrote:
Chuck Graber wrote:...Personally I am fairly proud of my M77RL in .257 Roberts. This one shoots about 1-1/4" at 100yds with my current hand loads and I think I can get some more out of it.
Chuck, I hope you know that I wasn't slamming you or your gun--I have somewhat of a reputation to live down to when it comes to Rugers. :lol:

Anyway, enjoy your .257 and please take my ribbing as good natured (unless we're talking politics :lol: )

Your Pal,
Bluerock Brimley
Wilford,
No I didn't take it personally! If I were you I would try to live UP to your reputation when it comes to Ruger Shotguns! :lol:
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

kgb

#63 Post by kgb »

'Tweren't Brimley the walrus, it was Chumley! Sorry, Bluerock, my bad memory at work again.

My MKII bull barrel outshot all of the .22 rifles I'd owned to date and caused me to sell off my Marlin 39. Still have that Ruger, of course, and my Nr. 1 can still print 1" so it stays, plus my .41 Blackhawk and the .250 RL and convertible Single Six and 10/22T, although a Service Six had an out-of-alignment barrel/cylinder arrangement and it's gone along with the Bisley that really didn't fit my hand as well as it should have and the Red Label that was the wrong gauge at 20. The Blackhawk finally pounded out the transfer bar to where it wouldn't set off rounds but that was a quick fix for free. Looks like Rugers have been typical products to me, some work and others don't for various reasons. I harbor no ill feelings for them.

kgb

Chuck Graber

#64 Post by Chuck Graber »

Larry Brown wrote:Chuck, Purdeys fall open when you trip the toplever. You criticizing the Gold Label for being a self-opener? :)

Of course that leads to the famous story about the American who stopped in at Purdey's. He was examining one of their guns and found that--as are all self-openers--it took a bit more effort to close. So he asked the gentleman at Purdey's: "Don't your customers complain about how hard it is to close your gun?" "Sir," replied the fellow at Purdey's, "OUR customers don't close their own guns."
Yea, and this comes from the same crowd of inbred pasty faced yahoos the foisted off warm beer, Lucas electronics and boiled beef on the world. :roll:
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Colonel Brown

#65 Post by Colonel Brown »

And Triumph and MG cars.

BirddogBrewer

#66 Post by BirddogBrewer »

Larry-

MG was the first manufacturer to have a car go 100 miles in one hour. They even had a great tag line "Safety Fast"

As to triumphs. Yeah they suck. as to Lucas Electronics....yeah bad. Had to rebuild several wiring harnesses because of the high quality.

61 MGA, 74 Midget, 68 MGBGT.

But God the Brits made nice shotguns!

ash
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris
14th Cent. Danzig Town Ord.

Beer is Proof that God Loves us and Wants us to be Happy. Ben Franklin

Colonel Brown

#67 Post by Colonel Brown »

I like their cars too . . . but you either need to be a gearhead or else have a mechanic on your personal staff.

steve voss

#68 Post by steve voss »

BirddogBrewer wrote:MG was the first manufacturer to have a car go 100 miles in one hour. They even had a great tag line "Safety Fast"
Ash, their real motto was this: "Lucas, Prince of Darkness."

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010