Your favorite wise-crack heard at the Flatwater

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
Bluerock Brimley

Your favorite wise-crack heard at the Flatwater

#1 Post by Bluerock Brimley »

While not exactly a Nebraska Mensa convention (oxymoron??) there were indeed some VERY funny wise-cracks voiced at the Flatwater. What was the best/funniest/sarcasticest thing you heard this year????

I'll go first.
Pete Thomas has a beautiful 2 1/2" 16 ga. Webley. On one station Voss let him shoot his Grulla 16--when Voss handed him a 2 3/4" 16 ga. cartridge he unfortunately said, "here, this is a little longer than your used to."

Without conscious formulation, Pete said, "that's something a guy can't say too often."

One more.
Stack was flailing (that's a technical shooting term) away at a chandelle bird without alot of luck. When he finally hit it, the crowd applauded. One of the greater intellects in the crowd said, "it's like seeing a cripple in the special olympics cross the finish line--it just makes you feel good to see it happen."

OK, what's the funniest thing that you heard at Flatwater 08???
99.9999999%of robberies don't have the Mission Impossible theme song playing in the background. It's usually circus music.
...the blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.

jerry6stl

#2 Post by jerry6stl »

One would have to add Steve Finkel saying:

"OH, NOW I see to how to load this pump gun" -- for the seventh time!

JERRY GOLDSTEIN

TMBoyer

#3 Post by TMBoyer »

Not exaclty a wisecrack but:

Saturday afternoon, I was with the Iowa contigent on the course and when we arrived at Station Ten, Larry Brown was first up.

Larry missed the first target and then ran nine in a row.

Every one else ran the station.

As I stepped up to the station as the last shooter, Larry appealed to me as a fellow gun writer to help him maintain the image that we are human and do miss a target occasionally.

This was quite a quandry for me. I could succomb to Larry's appeal, or I could succomb to a selfish ego and beat Larry.

I ran the station!

Sorry, Larry.
"A good man always knows his limitations"
Harry Callahan

Bluerock Brimley

#4 Post by Bluerock Brimley »

Larry described the grip on a gun like "gripping Hilary's ankle." Ouch
99.9999999%of robberies don't have the Mission Impossible theme song playing in the background. It's usually circus music.
...the blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.

steve voss

Re: Your favorite wise-crack heard at the Flatwater

#5 Post by steve voss »

Bluerock Brimley wrote:Pete Thomas has a beautiful 2 1/2" 16 ga. Webley. On one station Voss let him shoot his Grulla 16--when Voss handed him a 2 3/4" 16 ga. cartridge he unfortunately said, "here, this is a little longer than your used to."

Without conscious formulation, Pete said, "that's something a guy can't say too often."
Ok, here's what really happened, and it's my favorite as well.

As I hand Pete the Grulla, I mention stock length by saying "This is a little longer than you're used to." Pete's reply, "Man, I don't hear that often enough." :D :roll: :wink: 8)

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

Bluerock Brimley

Re: Your favorite wise-crack heard at the Flatwater

#6 Post by Bluerock Brimley »

steve voss wrote:
Bluerock Brimley wrote:Pete Thomas has a beautiful 2 1/2" 16 ga. Webley. On one station Voss let him shoot his Grulla 16--when Voss handed him a 2 3/4" 16 ga. cartridge he unfortunately said, "here, this is a little longer than your used to."

Ok, here's what really happened, and it's my favorite as well.

As I hand Pete the Grulla, I mention stock length by saying "This is a little longer than you're used to." Pete's reply, "Man, I don't hear that often enough." :D :roll: :wink: 8)

sv
I've never let reality get in the way of a good punch line--thanks for the straight scoop.

Stackbarrel16

#7 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

The way I heard it was Pete said to Voss "That's something you don't get to say very often".
Rand Paul 2016

BirddogBrewer

#8 Post by BirddogBrewer »

Mine was on station 6 (I Think). The High crossers. Atticus was giving lead advice, described as LDL. "Lawyers Dick Lead" I think Boyer was going to loose his senses!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris
14th Cent. Danzig Town Ord.

Beer is Proof that God Loves us and Wants us to be Happy. Ben Franklin

Bluerock Brimley

#9 Post by Bluerock Brimley »

BirddogBrewer wrote:...I think Boyer was going to loose his senses!
I think that ship's already sailed. :lol:

steve voss

#10 Post by steve voss »

Stackbarrel16 wrote:The way I heard it was Pete said to Voss "That's something you don't get to say very often".
I NEVER get to say that. :cry:

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

TMBoyer

#11 Post by TMBoyer »

Bluerock Brimley wrote:
BirddogBrewer wrote:...I think Boyer was going to loose his senses!
I think that ship's already sailed. :lol:
I had an Executive Officer look at me one day and say:

"Boyer, there's nothing wrong with you that a good dose of sanity wouldn't cure, or at least help."

I've been proving him right for over thirty years! :D
Harry Callahan

Slowhand

#12 Post by Slowhand »

Much as is pains me to admit it, Voss has it right.
Frankly, I seldom remember what I say but am pleased to have had a rare moment of whit.
In my own defense discretion is not a highly respected quality at Flatwater. Just as Chicago is known as the 'Windy City' not for the breeze of Lake Michigan but rather for the political bagpipes of last century, Flatwater was likely never more windy!

Pete?

David

#13 Post by David »

BirddogBrewer wrote:Mine was on station 6 (I Think). The High crossers. Atticus was giving lead advice, described as LDL. "Lawyers Dick Lead" I think Boyer was going to loose his senses!
Is that where you aim for the front edge of the target? :lol:
David

But the moral man does not look at his freedom and say, "I can do what I want," but sees that freedom as the power to do what he ought. -Mike "Wingshooter" McDaniel

http://1-david-drew.artistwebsites.com/

steve voss

#14 Post by steve voss »

David wrote:
BirddogBrewer wrote:Mine was on station 6 (I Think). The High crossers. Atticus was giving lead advice, described as LDL. "Lawyers Dick Lead" I think Boyer was going to loose his senses!
Is that where you aim for the front edge of the target? :lol:
Yes, but Atticus claimed that was the description of a 4 foot lead. :P :wink: :roll:

sv

TMBoyer

#15 Post by TMBoyer »

My favorite came from our Canadian friend with his very dry British- Canadian wit.

We were shooting in a squad with Herr Finkle and for the fifteenth or twentieth time (we were ONLY at Station 3), we heard a variation of:

"Well I would have hit that bird if I would have had a different choke."

I turned to Mike and said:

One of these days Steve will say: "I just flat-assed missed that bird."

Mike's reply:

"Yes, and you'll look up and see a pig flying overhead."

I fell off of the shooting bench laughing and the more Steve kept asking:
"What's so funny?" The more I laughed.
Harry Callahan