Jr.pumper Steve

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
kgb

Jr.pumper Steve

#1 Post by kgb »

Steve 007 muscled up to the task by shooting a Trap grade Model 12 12ga on Saturday, then today he borrowed a 16ga Model 37 and shot it quite well. It's a lot easier to shoot Sporting birds with a bird gun than a Trap gun but I also think the M37 happened to fit somewhat better although it wasn't as distinguished-looking for the man in the borrowed hat. I am serious, he shot it very well!

There were some training issues, though....

Hey, this thing swings sweet!!

What? Is it loaded? How the hell would I know?

You want me to whip another one out? This thing holds three!

Now pipe down, I'm planning on hitting this one!

The tutoring went on, station after station, to mold the pumpgun newbie into a polished slide action operator. It was worth the effort, and to Steve worth every penny he paid.

The color on this Texas pumpgun frightened Steve a little, he would only watch Tiny shoot it from a safe distance.

Brent XVI'er

#2 Post by Brent XVI'er »

I predict an M 37 in 007's future. It is certain to be a great conservation method as it will cut down on the time Steve has to hunt by increasing the time it takes him to figure out how to load the gun and find the safety.

steve voss

#3 Post by steve voss »

One of the things I like best about having 007 around is that he is even more mechanically disinclined than I am. Loading a Model 37 is a bit different, but not so much that I would need to be instructed 11 times on 10 stations. :twisted: :roll: :wink:

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

Steve007

#4 Post by Steve007 »

Indeed, it is true that I shot the #3 and #4 pumpguns of my whole life at Flatwater. Total previous shooting experiences equalled 50 shells. Or maybe 25.It had been a while.

You elderly sportsmen must remember that newer shooters such as myself are the future of our sport, and encourage us.

I appreciate the famed authors Bluerock Brimsley and Terry Boyer loaning me their fine guns.

Mr. Brimsley loaned me the legendary Model 12 trap gun (30"barrel). I actually did pretty well with it, but it required an adjustment, as I swung the gun saying "under, under, under". A full choke (1 1/8, #7 1/2 loads) will definitely give you some range!

Senor Boyer loaned me the very 16g Model 37 Ithaca featured in his articles and book. And it had screw-in chokes just like a normal gun! Despite my not saying "under, under" as I shot, the targets did seem to explode quite a bit more often than not.

I regret not getting to shoot the pumpermeister's model 31, but we missed connections :( , so I shot the Ihaca instead,which turned out well. :) I'll admit I've been looking up Ithaca 16s on the gunsites. :?

Thank you to everyone who coached and encouraged me, and figured out how to get the jammed shells out. As fot the rest of you, you are obviously jealous of my talent and great potential. But that's OK. I don't blame you.