Flatwater 2014

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
steve voss

Re: Flatwater 2014

#31 Post by steve voss »

Hell yes!!
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

kgb

#32 Post by kgb »

I've seen a handgun version of an elephant rifle, the bolt pulled out the back to load it. It was in one of the .416's not sure if it was Rigby. Shooters got a helmet to wear when firing, the owner took it to an annual event and some unlucky soul had the distinction of kicking off the festivities with one shot. Then they'd pick up the gun, clean it off and set it aside for the next year.

Seems a rifle would be the better way to go. I understand there was one of those handrifles around in a Weatherby elephant caliber as well, 378 or 460.
Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern

Maximumsmoke

#33 Post by Maximumsmoke »

Anybody got a howdah pistol?
A man has to live with himself, and he should see to it that he always has good company." -- Charles Evans Hughes, American statesman

Colonel Brown

#34 Post by Colonel Brown »

Won't make it this year. Think most of the usual suspects from IA will be MIA as well.
"If one man can be allowed to determine for himself what is law, every man can. That means first chaos, then tyranny." Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter.

Pancho McTavish
Location: Formerly high Over the Beach at Waikiki and now high in the Ozark Mountains

#35 Post by Pancho McTavish »

Is this the first one you've missed Larry?

Colonel Brown

#36 Post by Colonel Brown »

Yes. With the wife now in Iowa, any multi-day trips now involve kenneling my dogs. That on top of the hit we're taking with two domiciles rather than one, ridiculous LP prices this winter . . . trimming expenses in a few places. Oh yeah . . . and the wife's new dental insurance only covers half the cost of the crown I need to replace. But I'd be there if the house up here were sold and we'd found a new place in Iowa.
"If one man can be allowed to determine for himself what is law, every man can. That means first chaos, then tyranny." Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter.

Pancho McTavish
Location: Formerly high Over the Beach at Waikiki and now high in the Ozark Mountains

#37 Post by Pancho McTavish »

Well we hope next month is good to you then!

kgb

#38 Post by kgb »

For several reasons then, good luck (or at least better than so far) on the move.

Are you the linchpin to the rest of the Iowa contingent rolling down to Flatwater?
Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern

Colonel Brown

#39 Post by Colonel Brown »

Not entirely. But I think Bill Layman and I were the first two Iowegians to make it over. Group gradually expanded after that.

sd/mt pga pro

#40 Post by sd/mt pga pro »

I had plans of making it back to the Flatwater this year, but alas it is not to be.

I am going to do something I didn't think I would ever do again (it was last done in 1968) in order to be among the close friends spending time with hopefully not, but probably so the last time with a great comrade fighting the big C.

I am going up to Devil's Lake to slay Snow Geese, April 26th through the 30th.
BC

kgb

#41 Post by kgb »

I can't think of a better place to be, Bob. Hope comrade goose hunter has an outstanding time.

sd/mt pga pro

#42 Post by sd/mt pga pro »

kgb wrote:I can't think of a better place to be, Bob. Hope comrade goose hunter has an outstanding time.
I was looking forward to the Flatwater, Kirk. From here in SD, it is only about a six or so hour drive to SV's house.

However, this is an old and dear friend and he and our gang go back a long way together. While his health is an issue, so is the age of some of us, so this is something I not only have to do, but want to do.

The good Lord willing, there will be another Flatwater for me next year.
BC

kgb

#43 Post by kgb »

And I'm not disagreeing in the least.

We moved here shortly before my father in law was afflicted by cancer, Being within 3 hours' drive was a blessing for my wife and I.

mbonner

#44 Post by mbonner »

Regret, my wife is booked in for surgery in Winnipeg on the Flat Friday, so can't come fellas, too bad I was looking forward to it.
Mikey

kgb

#45 Post by kgb »

Downer, Mikey, how you going to forward that Alberta Premium?

Hope it's an uneventful surgery and quick recovery for your wife. Doesn't sound as fun as Cuba!