New Flatwater Motto

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
steve voss

New Flatwater Motto

#1 Post by steve voss »

"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

fourtrax

Re: New Flatwater Motto

#2 Post by fourtrax »

If it's politically incorrect, I say it's the thing to do!

kgb

#3 Post by kgb »

Uh, what was the old Flatwater Motto again?
Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern

Pancho McTavish
Location: Formerly high Over the Beach at Waikiki and now high in the Ozark Mountains

#4 Post by Pancho McTavish »

"Uva uvam vivendo varia fit" (We don't rent pigs)? :lol: :lol:

3crosses

#5 Post by 3crosses »

"Uva uvam vivendo varia fi!
shouldn't it be
"Uva uvam dare varia fi?

Well maybe 007 does. Have you looked at the fat thing he likes on Thong of the day?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Will Rogers

Pancho McTavish
Location: Formerly high Over the Beach at Waikiki and now high in the Ozark Mountains

#6 Post by Pancho McTavish »

Well, as a Known Tetrologist.....I'm pretty sure Woodrow and Gus weren't Latin majors and it seems to me that the possibly illiterate former slave, Deets, painted it........but here's the way a bullshit college literature professor would discuss it from Wiki....

"The sign for Gus McCrae and Woodrow F. Call's Hat Creek Cattle Company includes a Latin motto, "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit," which appears to be a reference to a proverb first attributed to Juvenal. The proverb, "Uva Uvam Videndo Varia Fit" is translated as "A grape (uva) other grapes (uvam) seeing (videndo) changes (varia fit)." Some readers think McMurtry's substitution of "vivendo" for "videndo" is an artifice used to underscore Gus's lack of education and unfamiliarity with Latin; but later, when Call asks Gus about the motto, he is interrupted while explaining "uva, uvam, fit, double fit, ..." while pointing to the sign (or the crew, perhaps). Having established that, McMurtry gains nothing by adding a spelling error that only Latin scholars would catch. Likewise, it seems unlikely — as other readers have suggested — that the substitution was simply a typographical error. Although the substitution is ungrammatical, "vivendo" means "living," turning the phrase "A grape changes when it sees other grapes" to "A grape is changed by living with other grapes" or, since we are not really concerned with grapes after all, to "We are changed by the lives around us." The author's alteration takes on greater significance in light of the larger themes of the narrative that deal with how one leads one's own life, and with living itself. These themes are underscored by other remarks that characterize their journey, such as: (1) "you ride with an outlaw, you die with an outlaw" when Jake is found with the horse thieves; and (2) a comment Gus made to Call: "It ain't dyin' I'm talkin' about ... it's LIVIN!"; all best understood as parabolic references to the true vine and Vinedresser from Jn 15:1."

Now as for Steve's tastes in the fairer sex......I don't think I see a problem there! :lol:

kgb

#7 Post by kgb »

Send a postcard when you get back home, Bob!!

:D
Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern

Pancho McTavish

#8 Post by Pancho McTavish »

I'm home from Hollyweird......and I thought Hawaii was the home of liberal idiocy!

Stackbarrel16

#9 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

"We don't keep score".
Rand Paul 2016

M&M

#10 Post by M&M »

"Just because you call pull, doesn't mean it's your bird"

postoak

#11 Post by postoak »

Venimus, nos bibit, nos sauciabit, nos requireris
"The devil can fool a man, but not man's best friend"

Colonel Brown

#12 Post by Colonel Brown »

Honi soit qui mal y pense.
"If one man can be allowed to determine for himself what is law, every man can. That means first chaos, then tyranny." Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter.

postoak

#13 Post by postoak »

Larry is that French for "Honey heres' my penis" ?
Last edited by postoak on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The devil can fool a man, but not man's best friend"

Colonel Brown

#14 Post by Colonel Brown »

That'd be a very loose translation, Rockie. You can google that one. Spoken by an English king (when they still spoke French at court) as he picked up a lady's garter. It's the motto of the Knights of the Garter.
"If one man can be allowed to determine for himself what is law, every man can. That means first chaos, then tyranny." Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter.

Stackbarrel16

#15 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

If she wasn't loose she wouldn't have dropped the garter. Pete isn't coming though.
Rand Paul 2016