First pic of this year's Flatwater cannon

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
wingshooter

First pic of this year's Flatwater cannon

#1 Post by wingshooter »

Rockie has been on a weight loss regimen, and just finished plastic surgery. Here he is test firing the prototype at the Gilley Compound, northwest of Waco:

Consistency is the currency of credibility.

MM

Pancho McTavish
Location: Formerly high Over the Beach at Waikiki and now high in the Ozark Mountains

Re: First pic of this year's Flatwater cannon

#2 Post by Pancho McTavish »

Rock....You dyed your hair! Hope that one is a little more reliable than the last FW cannon. Even a trained field artilleryman couldn't figure that one out!

steve voss

#3 Post by steve voss »

... and it begins. It's on. :D :D :D Good times.
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

Pancho McTavish
Location: Formerly high Over the Beach at Waikiki and now high in the Ozark Mountains

#4 Post by Pancho McTavish »

Maybe I'll bring mine up......

Setters Forever

#5 Post by Setters Forever »

oh yeah!!!!!!!
From the Love that dare not speak its' name to the Love that won't STFU, in one generation. PostOak

Oh, and Cot Less j0e (I don't know the facts). Feel free to chime in. Setters Forever

KE0YYQ

wingshooter

#6 Post by wingshooter »

What was your source on the barrel?
Consistency is the currency of credibility.

MM

kgb

#7 Post by kgb »

Looks a little stubby. Shiny, though!
Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern

Pancho McTavish

#8 Post by Pancho McTavish »

Many years ago I got the barrel from a guy just as the Tulsa gun show was closing down on Sunday. He didn't want to carry it to his car and made me a deal on it. It sat for a few more years and I decided to do something with it. It had short trunions...maybe for a naval carriage....so a machinist patient of mine made them longer. I got the field carriage from the old Cannon Mania website. It's not an exact fit but it's close enough that it works fine unless you want to shoot high angle. The bore is 1". I've never fired a projectile of any kind from it but it makes a hell of a boom with a bit of Fg black powder. We truck it out to my brother's place outside the city limits every 4th of July and fire all day.

steve voss

#9 Post by steve voss »

Hmmm, I wonder how far we could launch a one inch ball with it?
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

Setters Forever

#10 Post by Setters Forever »

there must be a way to buy one inch ball bearings.....
From the Love that dare not speak its' name to the Love that won't STFU, in one generation. PostOak

Oh, and Cot Less j0e (I don't know the facts). Feel free to chime in. Setters Forever

KE0YYQ

fourtrax

#11 Post by fourtrax »

Looks like """Rocky""" should have a damned fine chance of hittin the target.

Pancho McTavish

#12 Post by Pancho McTavish »

What is the internal bore pressure generated by a 1" steel ball of X weight in a 1" bore in front of a specified Fg black powder charge ignited by a burning fuze? What is the maximum PSI that an unknown alloy of cast? or milled? brass will safely withstand before bursting? If you don't have the answers to the above, I think we'll just call my cannon a "Salute Cannon"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Setters Forever

#13 Post by Setters Forever »

you could shoot ping pong balls!

KE0YYQ

steve voss

#14 Post by steve voss »

Pancho McTavish wrote:What is the internal bore pressure generated by a 1" steel ball of X weight in a 1" bore in front of a specified Fg black powder charge ignited by a burning fuze? What is the maximum PSI that an unknown alloy of cast? or milled? brass will safely withstand before bursting? If you don't have the answers to the above, I think we'll just call my cannon a "Salute Cannon"! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Easy. The ball in front of two pounds of FFg will generate 7250 fps. at 4500 lup. The cannon will easily proof out in excess of 126,000 psi.

No problem.

Pancho McTavish

#15 Post by Pancho McTavish »

Two pounds of powder would just be a giant salute 'cause there wouldn't be room for the ball! :lol: :lol: :lol: