Lead Shot

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
mbonner

Lead Shot

#1 Post by mbonner »

How available is lead shot down there? I could not buy any in Winnipeg today and I need some for 28 ga loading. Is it available from Cabela's?. I'll pass a couple on the way down,
Mikey

steve voss

Re: Lead Shot

#2 Post by steve voss »

Also check pricing at Guns Unlimited in Omaha.
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

mbonner

#3 Post by mbonner »

Thanks, Steve, I'll check that vendor out on my trip.
Regarding availability of Pure Canadian Rye Whiskey there is only one brand and it does not have any minature bottles, so I can't bring any of the latter along. Of the former, yes.
mikey

mbonner

#4 Post by mbonner »

Thanks, Steve, I'll check that vendor out on my trip.
Regarding availability of Pure Canadian Rye Whiskey there is only one brand and it does not have any minature bottles, so I can't bring any of the latter along. Of the former, yes.
mikey

kgb

#5 Post by kgb »

Mike, I've found Forty Creek to be very, very nice. Alberta Premium is the one I can't find down here. We DO have Forty Creek and it's a great blend that I've gotten a friend of mine pretty much hooked on.

Guns Unlimited was advertising $33.50 for a bag of shot recently, I think it's Eagle brand, in sizes from 7.5's to 9's. Always worth stopping by there, I can run out there with you if the timing is right as you'll pass just north of me to get there.

Kirk
Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern

steve voss

#6 Post by steve voss »

Damn. Those prices make me glad I bought 200 lbs. of STS magnum 7s a few years ago...at $14.35 a bag.
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

kgb

#7 Post by kgb »

Brag, Brag, Brag!!!

:D

Now all we need is a good supply of birds at which to shoot...
Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern

steve voss

#8 Post by steve voss »

Amen! I thought that would last me several years and it turns out it may be more than a lifetime supply.

mbonner

#9 Post by mbonner »

Sounds like a plan, I can call you when I'm coming down I-29, Kirk

Colonel Brown

#10 Post by Colonel Brown »

Right now, anything under $35 a bag, unless you're talking reclaimed shot, is a pretty good price.
"If one man can be allowed to determine for himself what is law, every man can. That means first chaos, then tyranny." Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter.

sd/mt pga pro

#11 Post by sd/mt pga pro »

steve voss wrote:Amen! I thought that would last me several years and it turns out it may be more than a lifetime supply.
You are not hunting enough, among the game birds in abundance (relatively speaking).
BC

steve voss

#12 Post by steve voss »

Bob, I admit I'm not hunting enough. It seems the closest birds to me are my few Chickens around here with a 3 bird per season limit and then it's hundreds of miles. Tough to do at 17mpg and $4 gas plus motels and such.

sd/mt pga pro

#13 Post by sd/mt pga pro »

The truth we live with these days, I am afraid. I fear too that it will continue to get worst and more expensive as the seasons slip by.

Brown was so right when three or four years ago he was telling everyone on a number of boards that if they were ever to be part of the "real" good old days, to get out to the Dakotas soon before those days passed forever. For most of the Uplanders in the country, they have.
BC

steve voss

#14 Post by steve voss »

I still remember going to Winner with my Dad a few years ago and in one half-mile draw having at least 800 birds jump...and we flushed more walking back with our limits. That was on a ranch owned by a former student of his that "wasn't good enough to charge to hunt on." Apparently they'd been run out of the "good" land. :D

Lots of younger guys around here think I'm making it up, but damn that was fun to watch.

sd/mt pga pro

#15 Post by sd/mt pga pro »

Steve,

There are a half dozen places in SD I won't hunt a second time because the bird numbers are almost always so great that it is unfair to the dogs. Winner is one of them.

Until folks have seen hundreds and yes I mean hundred with an s on the end, they can't even visualize what truly high bird numbers are and how unfair they are to a good dog. So much scent masking a fall that a dog would be treated more fairly with his nose stuffed with vasoline.
BC