More pics

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
Old Colonel

Re: More pics

#16 Post by Old Colonel »

What great pictures! Looks like all had a splendid time and met wonderful friends for another year of memories.

Thanks for sharing these.

Paul

Stackbarrel16

#17 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

That's a jump master's ring. The Marines are master of nothing, except sucking up to the Navy for subsistence of course. :twisted:
Rand Paul 2016

kgb

#18 Post by kgb »

Scott, I thought the Navy just arranged transportation for Marines.

Bluerock Brimley

#19 Post by Bluerock Brimley »

Will the jealously never end????? :lol:
99.9999999%of robberies don't have the Mission Impossible theme song playing in the background. It's usually circus music.
...the blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.

Colonel Brown

#20 Post by Colonel Brown »

Even as a student of foreign languages, I've never been able to figure out what it is that a Marine DI is saying when he's counting cadence. Could be he never got to 4 and is covering up for that deficiency . . .
"If one man can be allowed to determine for himself what is law, every man can. That means first chaos, then tyranny." Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter.

Bluerock Brimley

#21 Post by Bluerock Brimley »

Larry Brown wrote:Even as a student of foreign languages, I've never been able to figure out what it is that a Marine DI is saying when he's counting cadence. Could be he never got to 4 and is covering up for that deficiency . . .
...funny though, when they're talking to you, you NEVER have a hard time figuring out what they're saying! They do have a form of profanity that is proprietary to themselves--actually word combinations that make no grammatical sense until uttered by them; then hilarious and terrifying simultaneously. Profanity is like a song; there are the words and there's the music---any cretin can use the words, it takes a maestro to master the music however.
99.9999999%of robberies don't have the Mission Impossible theme song playing in the background. It's usually circus music.
...the blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.

Stackbarrel16

#22 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

DI's in the Army and USMC are a special breed. I think the USAF has "life coaches", or Oprah reruns. :lol:
Rand Paul 2016

pooch

#23 Post by pooch »

Bluerock Brimley wrote:
Larry Brown wrote:Even as a student of foreign languages, I've never been able to figure out what it is that a Marine DI is saying when he's counting cadence. Could be he never got to 4 and is covering up for that deficiency . . .
...funny though, when they're talking to you, you NEVER have a hard time figuring out what they're saying! They do have a form of profanity that is proprietary to themselves--actually word combinations that make no grammatical sense until uttered by them; then hilarious and terrifying simultaneously. Profanity is like a song; there are the words and there's the music---any cretin can use the words, it takes a maestro to master the music however.
True statement, after the initial terror, the beauty of the cadence seems to penetrate the soul.
By the time I finally discovered the answers, I had forgotten the questions.

kgb

#24 Post by kgb »

The Eat-Bite lyrics at least gave you something to focus on--hard to say them all correctly.

Scott, the coaches and Oprah must be since my time. Not much heavy profanity but one good shot was when a kid put on his neighbor's shirt in the morning. The TI caught it at breakfast and made the poor guy go put on his own shirt then come back down and report "Sir, Airman Henderson reports. I do not know who I am".

I laughed enough at that one. Had R. Lee opened up with his schtick I'd have wound up in a hospital bed. Private Pyle for certain.

Osh Kosh b'Gosh

#25 Post by Osh Kosh b'Gosh »

Anyone who has ever conducted any close-order drill, and I have, at various times and places, knows it pays to vary the cadence count and sound for several reasons -

The best one is that it forces the troops to pay better attention.

Sound quality or intellible words never counted anyway - it's the rhythm that's important.

steve voss

#26 Post by steve voss »

I remember pushing the earth away an inordinate number of times after ordering "Hippety Hop, Platoon Stop." I did not have to buy any beer that weekend, however. :D
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

pooch

#27 Post by pooch »

There is a story that I think defines the Marine Crops' instructors and their imperative to mold Marines.

An Instructor had a boot that was a habitual screw up couldn't do anything right. One evening a bottle of bourbon was being passed around the squad bay. When the DI unexpectedly walked in the forbidden bottle was in the hands of the foul up. The DI figures this is the final, straw he's got to wash the kid out. The foul up looks up at the DI and without missing a beat said "Dandruff, best damned stuff for dandruff I have ever tried" and starts pouring the whiskey on his head. The DI telling the story said - I knew then this kid had the makings of a Marine and my work wouldn't be wasted.
By the time I finally discovered the answers, I had forgotten the questions.

Stackbarrel16

#28 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

Calling cadence and calling drill are two different things. Had you actually been around such as you say you'd know the difference. It is actually very important that the troops hear and understand the preparatory command and the command of execution. It is just a vital that they be given on the proper foot. Halt of course being the exception.
Rand Paul 2016

Osh Kosh b'Gosh

#29 Post by Osh Kosh b'Gosh »

Agreed, naturally.