The First Flatwater Topic of 2011

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
Ole Cowboy

Re: The First Flatwater Topic of 2011

#16 Post by Ole Cowboy »

mbonner wrote: however your culinary skills can be put to good use!
Mikey
Amen to that!

Stack's potato salad excepted, of course.

sd/mt pga pro

#17 Post by sd/mt pga pro »

You know...I have never heard a complaint about the food at The Flatwater, so surely you all mean that an extra set of hands will be handy and not that they would be welcomed to improve the table fare. :wink: :P :)

Have I ever told you fellas about the cooking duties at a old elk camp west of here a piece? Custom is that straws are drawn to see who cooks during the hunt. Anyone who complains about the food becomes the new cook.

One of the guys who drew the straw was a bit pissed at having to cook rather than hunt, so he went out into the pasture and found a cow pie. Warmed up, it was served for dinner. One old boy spit it out and screamed that it tasted like cow shit. And then wisely stated that it was just about the best tasting cow shit ever.
BC

Brent XVI'er

#18 Post by Brent XVI'er »

Definately "the Boz" and Mikey the canuck, Dr. Drew,Hal Hare, Don Amos,Ted Schefelbein,Sherman Bell ,and Phil Hechler-a gentleman who used to shoot with Bob Brister, that I met at the Dallas Safari Club Show this weekend.Phil also knew Terry Boyer quite well, and used to talk with him when Phil was a rep for Sigarms.

Actually I wish everyone who has attended in the past to please make the effort to attend-Bluerock and Amarillo Slim.

And that pasture pool player with the black dogs and the pretty hammerguns. :roll: He knows who he is. :wink:
The joys of shooting a 16 bore are only realized when you do it.

Stackbarrel16

#19 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

It won't be on Easter for sure. It's usually the last weekend of April.. looks like we'll have to move it to April 29/30 and 1 May. Hold for confirmation.
Rand Paul 2016

Lou B.

#20 Post by Lou B. »

Holding...
If you believe in what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe but yourself. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Remember Charles Simeon.

mbonner

#21 Post by mbonner »

Holding too, Stack, just checked my GPS, the co-ordinates for Larry's range you gave me ever year since 2007 are now permanently installed, so I won't need to ask for them them this year!
Looking forward to it, as usual,
Mikey

David

#22 Post by David »

I nominate Fishnfowler to come to Flatwater.
David

But the moral man does not look at his freedom and say, "I can do what I want," but sees that freedom as the power to do what he ought. -Mike "Wingshooter" McDaniel

http://1-david-drew.artistwebsites.com/

Cogs

#23 Post by Cogs »

David wrote:...and Rufus and Cogs among others...
Sadly, I must say that I will not be attending Flatwater this year. In the past, I failed to attend due to inconvenience; many here have encouraged me to attend and I have always wanted to, as I have never had the pleasure of doing so. This year, it’s a bit different.

I do appreciate the “no politics” rule, as without that, we all might be shooting at each other! But for me, this year is different. For example, my mother-in-law is a Liberal and we have had a spat or two over the past few years. Last December, she announced that nobody would be allowed to attend her Christmas dinner if they talked politics (she is depressed that Obama has been such a failure). My wife and children attended, I did not.

Why I decided not to, was because there is no way I can escape what I do. I am political, and I happen to be good at it, period. People ask me questions, because they want to learn how the whole process works. I tell them the truth. It doesn’t matter to me what party you hold true; it’s all about understanding the issues and voting your conscience.

So, there has been no way I can attend any function, without someone asking me something political; as it’s become my job. I am already lining-up with a presidential candidate and so I think it's best I pass on this event. I wish you all well; as I believe you all to be the true heart of our country, God speed.

Lou B.

#24 Post by Lou B. »

Your post puts me in mind of my situation, not vis-a-vis my late MIL, but rather a very close late friend.

Since we have not met, it is not for me to say, but I would think that with your statement in mind, your friends and friends-to-be, other than perhaps in a private tete-a-tete or two, could abide by the posted rules, and still enjoy themselves/ourselves.

As an example, while I am interested in politics in the sense that I vote, I dislike spending time hashing over political news, etc. I already know how i will vote, if I am still able to vote, in the next presidential election - the anti-Obama candidate, regardless of who this might be. Therefore, I would have no need to ask you or discuss with you your political activities or passions, but could easily spend time talking about our hunting/shooting experiences and our guns, etc.

It would surprise me if this would not also be true of a number of others who would like to see you at Flatwater.
If you believe in what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe but yourself. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Remember Charles Simeon.

3crosses

#25 Post by 3crosses »

One of these days I would like to attend.
But, since I live in NM and have in-laws in South Dakota, the wife insists we visit her parents.
Which of course isn't all bad as I tend to make my appearance during pheasant season.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Will Rogers

Stackbarrel16

#26 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

Lou has it nailed Tim. The rule is for the political baiting type of political discussion. We know where you stand, like we knew where Ron White stood. The rule is there to prevent baiting for the purposes of "sport". I have never monitored the conversations of any participants and I know some discussion of current events and such always has some political nature to it.

Leave your campaign mode at home, feel free to discuss that which you are asked about, be it guns, sex, booze, maritime shipping, or your view of current events and even a candidate. Don't give a stump speech on the shooting station. FWIW I had planned on pulling you aside to ask just such questions should you attend.
Rand Paul 2016

Cogs

#27 Post by Cogs »

Please allow me to clarify my prior comments. Believe it or not, in person, I do not preach politics. As I mentioned, I don’t care who anyone votes for – I just suggest that before you vote, be informed – if you understand the issues, I trust you will vote the Right way.

Many on the Left are surprised to hear that when we meet. Though I have never hidden on which side of the fence I reside, I have won a lot of votes for my candidates with that simple strategy.

I have, however, learned a bit of how government functions and I do know most of the current players; so people tend to ask me my opinion on stuff. For example, if you ask me my thoughts on the health care issue, I will tell you why the law will not stand. Some will call that political; I call it reality. I attend many public events and I have learned to try to be cautious with my remarks.

The fact remains, I am a hard-core conservative, involved in politics, and not one who is afraid to speak my mind; it’s what I do. So, I pick my non-political events carefully and avoid those who might know me and ask a simple question, as that may result in a 30 minute lecture on the evils of Liberalism. I can do that without a Teleprompter!

Besides, this all may be moot; if I’m working on a campaign, I’ll be too busy. Hell, after this year, my guns are forgetting who their master is!

Stackbarrel16

#28 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

We'll pencil you in.
Rand Paul 2016

Pancho McTavish
Location: Formerly high Over the Beach at Waikiki and now high in the Ozark Mountains

#29 Post by Pancho McTavish »

Easter should be spent in church or with family. I'm in for the 29-30 April-1 May weekend. Need to buy a ticket soon though. AA is talking about raising fares again!

Digger

#30 Post by Digger »

Have not talked to Stack,between work and hunts have been busy.Just let me know the dates and we will be ready.Well sorta,heck if you've been here before you understand,if you have not you need to come.The nicest people come to this you will ever want to meet.There are a lot of gentlemen whom have posted here it would be great to meet in person.This event has become more of a social gathering of shooters and hunters than any event I have ever been to.If you can't have fun and relax here, :roll: I gotta tell you guy's, each year I look forward to this more than any other event we do.Were getting a little snow here today.My van can't make it to work,however my truck can get out to chase yotes. :D :D
I think you mean "tumblers"
The shell you buy, the gun you shoot, the size of the bore or the clerk at the store telling you what you should do doesn't determine your actions, ethics or ability.