Flatwater is For Citizens - A Challenge

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
steve voss

Flatwater is For Citizens - A Challenge

#1 Post by steve voss »

In the spirit of Citizen vs. Sheep, The 2010 Flatwater Open is designated as a Citizen's Event. Carrying of sidearms is strongly encouraged. Open carry preferred, but concealed with the proper permit is fine. 1911s preferred, but any sidearm of your choice is fine. (If God had wanted us having pistols other than the 1911, John Moses Browning would have invented them.)

This will add yet another type of firearm to ooh and aahh over as well as hand back and forth like we do all the other ones. I expect some Evil Black Rifles to appear as well.

As usual at Flatwater, all firearms will be properly stowed before the bar opens.

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

esetters74

#2 Post by esetters74 »

He did invent them....a whole slew of them, his crowning achievement when it came to his pistol designs (in his own words) was his "Hi-Power". :D

This is just me talking over here, but I could do without the pistols, rifles, black rifles, etc. at the Flatwater, I really like the old school, vintage shotgun aspect of the shoot. Take that for what its worth...I'm not a regular attendee.

Dustin

Stackbarrel16

#3 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

It has never been about "vinatge" shotguns, there are venues for such snobbery. The Southern is the same weekend FWIW. The shoot is about coming and shooting what you like to shoot, no particular type of shotgun needed, no uniforms, costume or income levels required.

You don't have to come, you don't need an invite to come, it matters not what you bring to shoot, it matters not how many you hit. The whole thing is about shooting targets, the shit and having fun around our sport of shooting be it shotguns, rifles, pistols or whatever. If all you want to talk about and play with are relics cool, you can do that here. If you want more guess what you can do that too.

If you want to bring a P35 (incidentally a gun that is not all JMB's design it was finished years after he was dead by FN engineers) then do so, or a 1911, perhaps a Kahr, a Freedom Arms 83 is cool too or nothing at all, that's cool too.
Rand Paul 2016

kgb

#4 Post by kgb »

I'm with Dustin....would you consider designating a Citizen vs Sheep timeframe, maybe Friday evening or on Saturday....around lunchtime (tea time for Mikey B?) or just prior to grill fire-up? I don't really want to carry a pistol around the shotgun course for all 200 rounds, but then I don't carry a sawed-off, Oompa Loompa 1911 either. :)

Be careful about that sheep reference Steve, Iowegians will be present and may react badly when they realize there are no livestock pens.

kgb

Digger

#5 Post by Digger »

Well Dustin,your opinion with me does matter.And in this case I agree.While I love all firearms, I do look at this event as a shotgun event.However I will always remeber Mr.Bowyer teaching my daughter to shoot that cannon of a handgun he had. :) Looking forward to seeing you.

Stackbarrel16

#6 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

There are no pistol course, no rifle ranges set up. It is a shotgun event. I fail to see how legal carry for those so able is an affront to anything.
Rand Paul 2016

Digger

#7 Post by Digger »

If someone wants to wear or carry a handgun,I have no issue with it.However as soon as there is any alcohol is opened all hand guns carried or worn will be put away.On display guns are different.This means stowed in the owners vehicle.No exceptions.While I would never come between a man and his rights.I cannot believe i'm posting about something like this.Reminds me of the time I had some guys come out to hunt and all of them wore the biggest knives I ever saw.I kept my mouth shut till after the hunt I just had to ask,why are you all wearing those knives bird hunting.One was worried about coyotes,one wore his because his friends did and one just thought they looked cool and he had never had a chance to wear it since he bought it.Well heck,I asked. :lol:

esetters74

#8 Post by esetters74 »

Stackbarrel16 wrote:It has never been about "vinatge" shotguns, there are venues for such snobbery. The Southern is the same weekend FWIW. The shoot is about coming and shooting what you like to shoot, no particular type of shotgun needed, no uniforms, costume or income levels required.

You don't have to come, you don't need an invite to come, it matters not what you bring to shoot, it matters not how many you hit. The whole thing is about shooting targets, the shit and having fun around our sport of shooting be it shotguns, rifles, pistols or whatever. If all you want to talk about and play with are relics cool, you can do that here. If you want more guess what you can do that too.

If you want to bring a P35 (incidentally a gun that is not all JMB's design it was finished years after he was dead by FN engineers) then do so, or a 1911, perhaps a Kahr, a Freedom Arms 83 is cool too or nothing at all, that's cool too.

Jesus Christ Scott, re-fuckin-lax. :roll: I dont need a lecture on the hi-power either...thanks anyway. Anyone who knows me or anything about me knows that me and "snobbery" dont go together at all. Matter-o-fact...nothing I wrote had any hint of snobbery. A vintage shotgun doesnt have to be a double gun, it could be a fuckin H&R Topper model or a Coast to Coast hardware store pump gun for all I care. As long as I've been aware of the Flatwater shoot, it was about shotguns....with the occasional pistol or rifle being brought out for show and tell, but the focus was on shotguns. I didnt think I was out of place with my comments. See ya in couple weeks.

Stackbarrel16

#9 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

I am relaxed. I'm also tired of of the BS. As if just because a pistol is around suddenly the rules that apply to any firearm and alcohol will suddenly disappear from the same guys who have proven time and time again to be responsible. :roll: Fudds? really?

If you don't like pistols or black guns or whatever don't look at them. I for example could care less about hammerguns and being my shoot I could say no to them. I seriously don't care if you guys enjoy them and want to shoot them so as it's never been about any type of gun bring em and have at it.

Get a grip Dustin, spare me the lords name in vain, come and enjoy the guns there that you like. No matter what type of gun they have, a show and tell with the attendees are to a man fun, interesting and responsible. Even the hammergun toting British wannabe types. :lol:
Last edited by Stackbarrel16 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rand Paul 2016

wingshooter

#10 Post by wingshooter »

no uniforms, costume or income levels required.
While no costume may be required, this year's offering (I think) will be my best to date. I will also shoot (Friday's 30 Man Squad) the course with what will probably be the most unusual shotgun ever. Ten days or so to go, and the sawdust is furiously flying!
Consistency is the currency of credibility.

MM

Stackbarrel16

#11 Post by Stackbarrel16 »

Looking forward to it.... I think. :lol:
Rand Paul 2016

postoak

#12 Post by postoak »

I suggest that all get likkered up and that serious disagreements be settled with pistols at ten steps.

Those Pistols that shoot a foam projectile, my Grandson plugs me with those things when I least expect it.

:P
"The devil can fool a man, but not man's best friend"

steve voss

#13 Post by steve voss »

Rockie, you ain't seen nothin' yet. I just had to have the NERF machine gun with the 32 round stick magazine. :D My grandbabies don't know which way to run...away from the fire or towards it to see if they can get a turn.

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

postoak

#14 Post by postoak »

:lol:
"The devil can fool a man, but not man's best friend"

steve voss

#15 Post by steve voss »

Rockie, you shoulda seen their eyes bug out the first time. As usual they'd snuck up on ol' Grandpa and shot me with their NERF pistols. I just smiled, turned around, and hosed 'em down. It was hilarious and they learned some more about ol' Grandpa.

sv