Anyone bringing a gas auto?

To centralize the Flatwater topics sprinkled about the other forums, they are all consolidated here.
kgb

Anyone bringing a gas auto?

#1 Post by kgb »

I've used a bunch of different cleaners/oils on the gas tube of my Super-X M1 and have found a favorite in Slip2000. Anybody been through a bunch of snake oils and still searching for one that works? I'd like for someone else to try this stuff out on their gun against a known performer, if they're willing.

Kirk

mbonner

#2 Post by mbonner »

I use Breakfree CLP in my 4 Remington gas autoloaders, it keeps the carbon in suspension and can be wiped off easily at the end of the day, otherwise carbon bakes onto the mag tube and has to be removed with steel wool. I shoot these guns wet and have no cycling problems with any of them. I might bring the new Sporting 28 ga 1100 along to the Flatwater, it's kind of a cute little gun.
Mikey

kgb

#3 Post by kgb »

Mike, that'd be a great gun if you'd be willing to run it with Slip2000. Either with your chosen shells or I've got Fiocchi's. I know 28's operate at higher peak pressures than 12ga shells, and although I don't know how much of a difference the ports actually see, I suspect the pressures/temps would be higher.

I think Breakfree was one of the items I tried on my Super-X that didn't bake on, although it did get blown away from the mag tube where Slip2000 did not. Unscientifically, I did not keep track of how many rounds were fired with each oil although I used the Slip2000 for 100 skeet targets.

Speaking of autos, Benelli's new 28ga inertia guns were on hand at Phesantfest, pretty little job at 5lbs and even cuter than the Franchi AL 28ga. I didn't ask the price.

Kirk

mbonner

#4 Post by mbonner »

Well, sure, Kirk, I'd be happy to goop up my 28 ga 1100 with Slip2000 to try it.
Mikey

Mike Christensen

#5 Post by Mike Christensen »

KGB,

I too liked the Legacy 28 from Benelli. I asked about the price and they indicated an MSRP of about $2K and a store price around $1.8K.

I could see myself chasing quail with that gun all day long!

Mike C.

mbonner

#6 Post by mbonner »

Well I guess I could buy 2 28 ga 1100s for the price of a 28ga Benelli.
Are they twice as good?
Mikey

mbonner

#7 Post by mbonner »

Well I guess I could buy 2 28 ga 1100s for the price of a 28ga Benelli.
Are they twice as good?
Mikey

kgb

#8 Post by kgb »

You could buy 2 Ithaca M37's for the same cash, too. I know I've read expressions of shock that a M37 28ga would cost 1k, but they now look pretty affordable by comparison.

Even with the angular trigger guard, that Benelli's a very pretty shotgun that I would like to shoot some time.

Kirk

Brent XVI'er

#9 Post by Brent XVI'er »

I'd rather shoot a Remington 11-48 in 28 bore. Even if they did remove the gas piston and tube. :roll:
The joys of shooting a 16 bore are only realized when you do it.

mbonner

#10 Post by mbonner »

Brent, I had a Remington 11-48 skeet model in 28 ga, cute little gun, I got it cheap as the owner could not get it to cycle. I tried CLP on the mag tube and it worked like a champ. I sold it to a collector of 11-48s who had a gap in his extensive collection of 11-48s and bought a new 1100 in 28 with the proceeds, it's a better gun and it has choke tubes too.
Mikey

Joe Cool

Gun??

#11 Post by Joe Cool »

You know, I brought out a Beretta Urika 391...my dependable ol' duck shooter of the swamps...to last year's shoot. I shot it pretty well and seemed to break most of the birds thrown for me. But I got lots of funny looks and one gent actually questioned the use at Flatwater of a gun with "moving" parts.

So my plan this year was to stick to doubles and to also to try out a newer high-grade O/U. But if you want to give me a good excuse to shoot a semi, I'll be happy to do so!! :wink: :wink: Let me know if you want me to bring a semi for your field test.
"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too."

Samuel Butler, (Notebooks) (1912)

steve voss

#12 Post by steve voss »

Brent XVI'er wrote:I'd rather shoot a Remington 11-48 in 28 bore.
Me, too. I shot quaill with a 28ga. 11-48 for about 15 years back in the 80s and early 90s when we had quail. We hunted Kansas in the morning (8 bird limit), ate lunch on the move, and hunted Nebraska in the afternoon (6 bird limit). It was an awesome gun, heavy enough to swing smoothly, light enough to carry all day, and would let off 4 shots as fast as anyone could want. I don't know how many "four-fers" on covey rises I shot with that little gun. But the populations went to hell and, not only could I not bring myself to shoot "four-fers," on many days I couldn't bring myself to shoot four. :( :(

It's been SxS guns ever since.

sv
"Say five Heil Hinckers, sing two Horst Wessel songs, and perform an act of contrition." -kgb 4/22/10

"It's all in the hunt...patience, luck, skill, experience, desire, spirit and flesh." -Bob Crandall 10/18/2010

M&M

#13 Post by M&M »

I don't own a gas auto. So do I bring the Sportsman 48 or the humpback 11?

kgb

#14 Post by kgb »

Rick, I had a 391 20ga several years ago and shot it until it needed cleaning which was shortly after 200 rounds when cycling slowed down appreciably. It had gunked up pretty bad, this was NOT with target loadings but rather game load types. I don't recall which oil I had in the thing and know I didn't have the Slip2000 at the time.

If you're familiar with how it gunks up with a particular oil, it'd be useful to check it out using my new favorite.

Joe Cool

Beretta??

#15 Post by Joe Cool »

Like Commander McBragg notes above, Breakfree is good and I have used it in the past. When the weather is not predicted to be really cold, I frequently use a silicon-based "no-stickum" product that seems to work well and ensure quick recycling. But I'll be glad to clean up the ol' semi and bring it up to try with the new product! :wink:
"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too."

Samuel Butler, (Notebooks) (1912)